Skip to main content

Looks like I'll be in Moncton for a while

Hey all,

(I'm so sorry I forgot to send this last week! Here's my email from last week, I'll be sending the one for this week later!)

Wow, it looks like you're having a great time with the Barnes! I got the photos, wish I could be there for it all. We'll definitely have to do something after my mission and send photos to Boo to make him jealous too, haha. 

Also, there was another government shutdown? When did that happen? Is it over the same thing as the last one, with the budget? Its so different on your mission cause just don't hear any news! And this is in the days of internet and emails, I can't imagine how bad it must have been for you Mom and Dad on your missions. 

For transfers, Elder Willoughby and I are staying together in Moncton. So I'm probably going to be here at least one more transfer after this one together, because Elder Willoughby is going home this transfer.

Since last time I wrote, not a ton has happened. We had an exchange in Bathurst, which was pretty good. I got to go back to teach Nick, and Rachelle, and we set it up so they could get lessons again. We'll see if they'll start progressing and the elders start teaching them again, we just taught à little bit about faith, and asked if they wanted to meet with the missionaries again, so I'm hoping things go forward! 

We got back from the exchange Saturday night, and had a pretty good final 3 hour block Sunday. Bishop Hall here had a combined lesson about how we find truth, and what the pattern of truth is. It was really good, he related it to how we know the Book of Mormon is true, by the Spirit. He also went through "evidence" that "proves" the Book of Mormon is false/true, like DNA testing, Joseph Smith's lack of education, Chiasmus in the Book of Mormon, all kinds of "evidence" for and against the Book of Mormon, and showed how all of it is irrevelant to the testimony we gain of it through the spirit. 

Then that Sunday night, we had a lesson with Troy. He's the nephew of one of the members here. We taught the Restoration, and invited him to be baptized, he's on date for Feb. 9th, so we're hoping that that goes through. He's really wanting to come closer to God in his life right now, and to feel God's love, and so it was cool to be able to teach him how he can do that. 

Monday and Tuesday we didn't go out, for New Year's Eve and New Years, we weren't supposed to proselyte. Instead, we got permission to get together as a District and watch a movie! We watched Incredibles 2, which was lots of fun. It was a little predictable, but I still really enjoyed it. We also played some basketball, and dodgeball, it was lots of fun. 

Update on the investigators. For Daniel and family, we called to confirm our appointment, and the parents answered and said that it wouldn't work, and that they're too busy to learn now, which was too bad. Hopefully some missionaries can go back in the future and teach the kids, cause they were so ready. John, the Congolese guy and his family aren't interested either, we met him, and it kinda turned into him trying to Bible Bash me. (Cause he speaks French, so I was teaching it all.) We invited him to read the Book of Mormon and feel its truth, but he didn't want to. Right now Troy is pretty legit though! 

So far we don't really know what the new Sunday schedule means for us. As far as we know, it's going to be another hour to go do work, but we don't know. I hope we get extra study time, that would be nice. Sundays are the best as missionaries because we get to have church, so it kinda stinks we get less time for that, but I'm sure it's going to be good. 

Love you all,
Elder Marsh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Videos

Robbie ran out of time to email, but sent videos, so we are the ones who got a birthday present as he celebrated turning 20 today. :) Unfortunately only one of them was under the max of 100mb size for blogger. :( Here it is:

Stake conference

Hey all, Man, it looks like you’re having a great time in DC! Also, that schedule looks great too. I know lots of people who have said morning classes stink, but I think it would be totally the other way around, morning would be way better. Do I not have a math class? I mean I figure I’ll use math in Econ, but I would have thought I would have needed some math.  This week’s been pretty crazy. So this last week has been pretty busy because we’ve been trying to get ready for our devotional and everything, Elder Hamilton did agree to come and speak to everyone, which was super cool. (He’s super nice and cool, he talked with everyone who came for probably 30 minutes just getting to know them.) We made invitations for everyone, and we had like 20 people commit to come. The day of the event though, 2 people showed up at the start, and 2 more came during it. It was kinda disappointing so few people came, but it was super spiritual for the people who came. It was definitely worth it.

Transfers!

Hey all, Happy Father's day! Hope you had a good one dad + grandpa's. I didn't know if you would've wanted to waste part of your trip to DC calling me, so I didn't try calling. Besides, I want you all to actually be glad I'm home when I get back.  So you're right, my p-day does get messed up because of transfers, but the majority of it was on Monday (not Tuesday) and the rest today (Wednesday). It's ok though because I do have enough time to write some. (This whole week has been so busy I don't even know if I could include everything that's gone down.) We'll start with zone conference. Elder Hamilton didn't have enough time in his schedule to go to Newfoundland, and so we combined the Newfoundland and Nova Scotia zone conference. It was really good, Elder and Sister Hamilton gave some fantastic training, as well as President and Sister Low. I don't know if I've told you about this, but in our zone conferences we normal